BY ZOË ROBERT
Two Icelanders lost consciousness due to exposure to gas at a geothermal project site in the Philippines on Thursday. According to Philippine media reports, eight employees of the Philippine energy company Biliran Geothermal Incorporated (BGI) were injured as a result of the leak on Biliran Island. No one was seriously injured.
The two Icelanders are working at the site on behalf of Icelandic engineering firm Mannvit.
According to Eyjólfur Árni Rafnsson, managing director of Mannvit, testing at the geothermal site was being carried out in the usual way. As often occurs, gas came to the surface but for some reason the employees suffered from hypoxia, causing them to pass out. The employees were immediately taken to hospital where they are said to have recovered quickly, ruv.is reports.
Work procedures will be reviewed as according to Eyjólfur such incidents should not occur.