By Marie Tonette Marticio, Manila Bulletin
CAIBIRAN, Biliran – Residents are still in shock with the recent controversy allegedly involving child molestation in this small coastal municipality in Biliran.
Noel (not his real name) was still in distress as he narrated how his 14-year old daughter was allegedly victimized by the suspect who preys on children.
He told the local police that, in the morning of September 22, they found his eldest daughter, Lyn (not her real name) sitting inside a pedicab, weak and disoriented.
The victim alleged that she was grabbed by the arm when she passed by the apartment of the suspect she identified as Martin Sulla, 57.
She added she was also molested by the suspect in 2018, but only told her parents after the most recent rape incident.
Her father also showed the victim’s exchange of text messages with the suspect who promised to give her money and gadgets.
“Nagchachat siya dun sa anak ko na tutulungan daw niya, siya daw bahala tapos bibigyan daw ng allowance linggo-linggo, cellphone at load,” Noel recalled.
Lyn’s medico-legal report revealed laceration in the victim’s private parts and presence of spermatozoa.
The local police, headed by PLt. Vic Viros immediately arrested the suspect. But Sulla had to be temporarily detained in Biliran Provincial Hospital due to his fluctuating blood pressure.
Upon learning of what happened to her friend Lyn, another 14-year old girl turned to the police for help.
She alleged that Sulla started to rape her on December 25, 2018, when she and her friends were lured to the suspect’s house by his offer of Christmas gifts. Since then, the victim claimed she had been raped at least 10 times by Sulla.
Liza sought the police’ help to send her to an orphanage because her mother, along with her four younger siblings will be leaving for Manila to follow her father who works there.
Another 13-year old boy Rex (not his real name) also went to the police station to file a rape complaint against Sulla.
The Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office of Biliran has given the assurance that it would provide all the necessary assistance to the victims while the cases against Sulla are pending.
Lyn has stopped going to school due to the trauma, and her father is devastated that the life of her daughter is already ruined.
“Masakit siyempre pero pinipigilan ko’ng lumuha. Ang gusto ko lang mabigyan ng katarungan ang ginawa niya sa anak ko. Sana ‘yung iba pumunta na din sa police station para magsumbong, makiisa kayo sa anak ko para hindi na makapambiktima ‘tong tao na ‘to,” Noel said.
Viros has appealed to other possible victims to come out and file their complaints against the suspect.
The Provincial Prosecutor’s Office filed charges of acts of lasciviousness against Sulla Friday. It has also received the complaints from the two other minor victims.