By Rodrigo S. Victoria
Published on January 23, 2020

NAVAL, Biliran (PIA) — Finally, after more than two years of waiting, the much awaited construction of Caray Caray Bridge which served as the gateway to the booming business capital town of Biliran province, Naval, will definitely start.

Engr. Jeff Saavedra, project engineer of the Baltonado Construction Corporation, said at the project site in an interview on January 22, that the full blast start of the bridge construction will definitely commence on Monday, January 27.

Several heavy equipment and construction materials are already at the project site, and even construction workers have already started the bored pile works at the eastern approach of the bridge using percussion type boring machine at the time of the interview.

“We advised the motorists to use the detour bridge by Monday, January 27,” Saavedra told as they will start the demolition of the remaining structure of the Caray-Caray Bridge also on Monday, January 27.

Saavedra asked for the understanding of the public and the motorists so they could fast track the construction of the bridge.

Sigh of Relief

“Una po sa lahat ako ay natutuwa at sa wakas sa ilang taon na naghirap sa araw-araw na pagdaan sa Caray-Caray Bridge masisimulan na rin ang pag construct. Wala ng traffic at mapapadali na ang lahat lalo na yong mga pumapasok sa opisina at paaralan at higit po sa lahat di na mag aalala lalo na kung maulan ang panahon,” said Marjoan Aguilos, a mother of two students at the Naval School of Fisheries, a secondary school located in Barangay Caray-Caray.

Ronilo Jamin, an employee of DTI Biliran and a resident of Barangay Caray-Caray, who witnessed the hardship of motorists due to heavy traffic at the bridge, said that it’s good to hear that the bridge construction will start and hope the construction will be finished within the contract period. He also appealed that the detour bridge be constructed well as it is the only alternate means in going to Naval proper.

“Two years had passed since Typhoon Urduja destroyed Caray-Caray Bridge. Since then it gives us businessmen, who brings goods in and out of Naval losses due to the uncertainty of travel to Naval,” said Christopher Ang, president of the Biliran Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and a noted businessman-philanthropist in Naval.

He added that on the part of the consumer, it gives them additional cost if the bridge is impassable.

Ang is very hopeful that the construction will be done the soonest possible time.

Clarifications

In an earlier interview with Biliran Governor Rogelio J. Espina at his office, he estimated that the start of construction of the Caray-Caray Bridge is in February this year.

He said that the P180M worth bridge was supposed to have started in 2018 but was delayed due to some processing technicalities in 2018, and the delay in the approval of the 2019 national budget.

The project label as “repair” instead of “construction” by the DPWH is one major cause of the delay as the project has to go back to square one in the project implementation process, Governor Espina explained.

He clarified it is DPWH 8 regional office that will implement the project as the project fund is more than P50M. (nbq/RSV/PIA 8-Biliran)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here