PDA

View Full Version : Why is the word Bible can't be found in the Bible

Bill Gregory
01-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Mr. Bill Gregory : According to Mr. Dictionary, Pleasantries is a good humored; a humorous or jesting remarks. And Jesting in the BIBLE is SIN according to the book of Ephesians chapter 5 with King James Version. So i disagree with you that pleasantries or WHITE LIES is not a sin.. Its definitely a SIN.. no matter what kind of lies. And one thing, there's no purgatory mentioned in the bible.. its only HEAVEN and HELL...... as our common sayings says " LIERS GO TO HELL" not in purgatory.. hehhehehhe

If you read my posts I suggest 'a word like pleasentry' would be better used rather than white lie in many cases.

As for purgatory this is part of the teachings of the Catholic Church. The word 'Bible' is not mentioned in the Bible but would you deny its existence? Would you throw away Dante's 'Inferno' and Milton's 'Paradise Lost' because they mention purgatory? Would you throw away the official Catholic Dictionary because it deals with and explains purgatory? I expect you would!

In a vain attempt to help you I have copied a piece by Jon Jakoblich:

The Bible does not mention the exact word "purgatory (http://www.aboutcatholics.com/life_in_christ/explaining_purgatory/)," but instead it makes reference to a place. To claim that it does not exist because of this is a cop out.
You might as well even deny that there is a book called the Bible (http://www.aboutcatholics.com/faith_beliefs/what_is_bible/) because no such name is found in the inspired writings.
You also might as well deny the Trinity, Incarnation, etc... because these words are not found in the Bible.
The name does not make the place; the place must exist first, then we give it a name. We call this place "purgatory" because it means "a cleansing place." Therein souls are purged from the small stains of sin, which prevent their immediate entrance into Heaven.
In the Old Testament

The first mention of Purgatory in the Bible is in 2 Maccabees 12:46: "Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from sin."
Granted 2 Maccabees may not be in Protestant Bibles, but even if it cannot be used doctrinally then it at least has to have some historical worth. In it we can see what the pre-Christian community believed.
In Chapter 12 we can see Scriptural proof for Purgatory and evidence that the Jews had sacrifices offered for those of their brothers who had lost their lives in battle. That the Jews prayed for the dead shows that they believed in a place where they could be helped (now called Purgatory) and that the prayers of their living brothers and sisters could help them in that place.
These words in the book of Maccabees had so clearly favored the Catholic custom, that the whole book was removed from the Protestant Bible. Unfortunately for them, even if the book was not inspired, it still tells us of the practice of God's chosen people.
In the New Testament

In Matthew 5:26 Christ is condemning sin and speaks of liberation only after expiation. "Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny." Now we know that no last penny needs to be paid in Heaven and from Hell there is no liberation at all; hence the reference must apply to a third place.
Matthew 12:32 says, "And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."
The same person as in the previously mentioned verse, Matthew, speaks of sin against the Holy Spirit. The implication is that some sins can be forgiven in the world to come. But not in Hell from which there is no liberation; nor in Heaven because nothing imperfect can enter it as we see in the next part. Any remission of sin cannot occur in either of these places because they are a final destination unlike purgatory.
Revelation 21:27: "...but nothing unclean will enter it, nor anyone who does abominable things or tells lies." The place that is to be entered (the place to which this passage refers) is heaven (read the stuff around it for context).
The Bible clearly implies a place for temporary punishment after we die in the many passages which tell that God will reward or punish according to man's works.
What if purgatory really doesn't exist?

Say that there is no such thing as purgatory. What becomes of us? The Bible declares that nothing impurified can enter Heaven, but yet a careless word can defile the soul (Matthew 12:36); if there is no place of temporary punishment, the one guilty would be damned to Hell!
Who would be saved? Those who teach against purgatory teach an unreasonable doctrine.
So, why do non-Catholics reject a teaching so full of consolation? My guess is that they want to believe that the merits of Christ applied to the sinner who trusts in Him, will remove all sin; hence the believer will go at once to Heaven (also known as the belief called Sola Fide or faith alone).
Nowhere in the Bible does it say faith alone. This is un-Scriptural, since Christ tells us that to enter into life we must keep the commandments, hear the Church, do the will of His Father and much more with faith. Yes, actions plus faith

justme
01-23-2008, 07:03 PM
I was wondering--- since the topic have flown to the Bible side--- bakit nga kaya walang Bible na word inside the Bible? im really intrigue. Another thing if ang Bible is God's word then why the heck there are loads of versions --like King James version, new international version,new american standard version ..ewan ano ung iba...and these versions have differences--- di ba dapat pag sinabing word of God-- kahit tuldok, comma, phrases ay di pwdeng dagdagan o palitan man lang..??it leaves me wondering about it na...

Bill Gregory
01-23-2008, 07:20 PM
I think you have to read religious texts with some intelligence, not looking at the words so much as the spirit and intention of the words. All of these words were written hundreds and hundreds of years ago - that in itself can be a barrier to understanding. I hope shortly to get a copy of the Gnostic Gospels to add to my copy of the Apocrypha - all texts that are missing from the conventional copies of the Bible. A bit on the Gnostic Gospels from the advertising blurb:

"In 1945, thirteen papyrus books that had lain buried since the 4th century were discovered in an earthenware jar near Nag Hammadi, in Upper Egypt. Over 1,500 years of neglect, however, was nothing compared to what happened to them upon discovery: the books were burned in an oven, confiscated and sold on the black market, before they were eventually deciphered. It is a miracle in itself that they survived. What they revealed stunned the world.
These were the Gnostic Gospels, alternative Christian texts – poems, myths, philosophy and gospels – which challenge those of the New Testament at every turn. The Gospel of Thomas records sayings of Jesus unlike any we have ever heard; that of Philip describes Mary Magdalene as Christ’s companion ‘whom he loved more than all the disciples’. One text tells the story of the Garden of Eden from the serpent’s point of view, while another casts God as partly feminine. Lyrical and powerful, there is no doubting the passion and devotion that created this poetry.
Recent scholarship indicates that many of these documents were contemporary with the New Testament. So why were they suppressed? Did they represent ‘inconvenient truths’ which the early church fathers wanted obliterated at all costs? In this superb collection, which includes three other uncovered treasures – the Gospel of Judas, the Gospel of Mary and the Book of the Stranger – the world’s leading Gnostic scholars open the window in order to shed light onto one of archaeology’s most exciting and controversial discoveries."

justme
01-23-2008, 07:34 PM
well, as ive read the bible since i was a kid i haven't stumble upon the word BIBLE-- and it keeps me wondering for years--- while when i was in MINDANAO during my high school days-- ive read the Qur'an of the muslims and found the word Qur'an inside the book Qur'an... and guess what there is only 1 version of the book --- unlike the BIBLE that has so many versions--- yeah, you could say that i should read with the Bible with intelligence -- what about being keen?keen enough to notice even a simple detail like this?even a small leak can sink a boat, remember?

justme
01-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Why is the word Bible can't be found in the Bible? i was wondering lang...:confused:

Hamadash
01-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Why is the word Bible can't be found in the Bible? i was wondering lang...:confused:

Maybe they forgot.. The bible was written by men... Men are human being and prone to make mistakes... :D

justme
01-23-2008, 07:55 PM
if the bible is written by men--- how come it became the Word of God? <another thing to think about...hhmmmm>

Hamadash
01-23-2008, 08:05 PM
The Bible is the account of God's action in the world and his purpose with all creation. The writing of the Bible took place over sixteen centuries and is the work of over forty human authors. It is a quite amazing collection of 66 books with very different styles all containing the message God desired us to have. So thats why They called it WORD OF GOD.. i guess...:)

justme
01-24-2008, 01:24 PM
so if that's the explanation--- why is there loads of versions? and there are omissions and adjustments made?i think if its a divine word of God---no one has the right to make a version according to himself? di ba?and if their purpose is for clarity (since its been written quite a long time ago) there shouldn't be any contradictions di ba? what do you think? di ba you're somewhere in the middle east? so, you have seen na a Qur'an book? there are no versions of their book? just only one---and its in the purest form---in the arabic text? even if your a filipino, arabian,american---you have to learn arabic to be able to read the book ---so, in the case of the Bible sana na preserve din in its purest form -- if it was written in Hebrew--din until now hebrew pa rin accompanied with some translations nalang --- hindi yung marami kanya kanya versions---na nagiging sanhi kung bakit nagkakaroon ng mga errors ang Bible---and na quequestion pa ang authenticity ng Bible dahil dito eh......what do you think?

Bill Gregory
01-24-2008, 03:24 PM
There are many translations of the Qur'an, but there are also many interpretations by different muslim scholars, which is a problem today as extremists and fundamentalists differ from 'main streams' of tolerant muslim thinking. Their religion is of course much newer than Christianity and this might help explain why there is only one book from one source.

This website looks OK for a summary and a translation in English. Devout muslims do use the arabic version even if that is not their language.

http://i-cias.com/e.o/koran.htm

I must add that I am not a religious scholar in any way, but I have a strong interest in history which of course is strongly associated with relgious movements.

jun villato
01-24-2008, 03:59 PM
people read the bible wondering why the word bible is not found in bible,
all of you are sure?
look at the cover of the bible it is written there,

THE HOLY BIBLE

get your bible you can see it promizzzzzzzzz

Hamadash
01-24-2008, 04:44 PM
According to my researched, the bible was 16th centuries way back, since the ancient days they are trying to translate the book. In the Historic Edition : They said when ancient scribes copied earlier books, they wrote notes on the margins of the page (marginal glosses) to correct their text—especially if a scribe accidentally omitted a word or line—and to comment about the text. When later scribes were copying the copy, they were sometimes uncertain if a note was intended to be included as part of the text. Over time, different regions evolved different versions, each with its own assemblage of omissions and additions... Some of the Original Text have not survived. Since the ancient time they have different versions for them to understand the context. So, i think nag exist na talaga ang omissions and additions at the early days. But if you have read the bible, wala naman cgurong teaching or scripture na nag tuturo sayo ng masama diba?? Maybe there are some verses in the BIBLE that everyone of us has different meanings..So, i think wala na tayong magagawa nyan because we cant turn back the time and tell those scribes not to omit or add words. Actually, there are lots of questions in the life that still dont have an answers, and it remains wonders of the EARTH. But what matter most, is to have Faith and Trust in God.

Hamadash
01-24-2008, 04:46 PM
all of you are sure?

THE HOLY BIBLE

Naa lagi title pero ngano man wala sa BOOKS, CHAPTERS AND VERSES ang word BIBLE sa BIBLE???

justme
01-24-2008, 05:02 PM
well, i agree with you that there are many translations of Qur'an --- but even though--- the original dialect use when it was given is there and is very much in use today--- unlike in the BIble-- is it written in latin or hebrew? is the true form exists today and been practice by the people. And i don't think so that since it is a newer religion -- it might be the reason why there is only one book from one source--- how about other religions like Ang Dating Daan, Iglesia ni Kristo -- who are of course using the Bible but are much much newer...

same with u, im not a religious scholar or a religious person--- but sometimes when we think about what's happening in our society we can't help asking and wondering like a curious child, di ba?

i've read an article in the internet, that the Protestants published an article entitled 50,000 errors in the Bible on their magazine AWAKE--- so it keeps you wondering how can these Protestants who uses and read the Bible could say that the Bible has such errors? and then here goes the revisions made just to make the Bible error - free...

so?

justme
01-24-2008, 05:11 PM
all of you are sure?

THE HOLY BIBLE

hehehehe--- no comment!you're a great philosopher!

justme
01-24-2008, 05:14 PM
According to my researched, the bible was 16th centuries way back, since the ancient days they are trying to translate the book. In the Historic Edition : They said when ancient scribes copied earlier books, they wrote notes on the margins of the page (marginal glosses) to correct their text—especially if a scribe accidentally omitted a word or line—and to comment about the text. When later scribes were copying the copy, they were sometimes uncertain if a note was intended to be included as part of the text. Over time, different regions evolved different versions, each with its own assemblage of omissions and additions... Some of the Original Text have not survived. Since the ancient time they have different versions for them to understand the context. So, i think nag exist na talaga ang omissions and additions at the early days. But if you have read the bible, wala naman cgurong teaching or scripture na nag tuturo sayo ng masama diba?? Maybe there are some verses in the BIBLE that everyone of us has different meanings..So, i think wala na tayong magagawa nyan because we cant turn back the time and tell those scribes not to omit or add words. Actually, there are lots of questions in the life that still dont have an answers, and it remains wonders of the EARTH. But what matter most, is to have Faith and Trust in God.

yeah you're right---------hanap nlng tayo ng ibang topic...hehehe.... any suggestions?

agta
02-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Because the bible is not a dictionary. It's absence in the bible itself simply tells us that not all are written in the verses of the bible. Faith is not limited by the bible. In fact, the bible is not the fountain of faith. The bible would tell us who is the fountain of faith, love and life. To Him we should go and not make ourselves prisoners of the bible.

brategamete
03-14-2008, 04:58 PM
I think you have to read religious texts with some intelligence, not looking at the words so much as the spirit and intention of the words. All of these words were written hundreds and hundreds of years ago - that in itself can be a barrier to understanding. I hope shortly to get a copy of the Gnostic Gospels to add to my copy of the Apocrypha - all texts that are missing from the conventional copies of the Bible. A bit on the Gnostic Gospels from the advertising blurb:

"In 1945, thirteen papyrus books that had lain buried since the 4th century were discovered in an earthenware jar near Nag Hammadi, in Upper Egypt. Over 1,500 years of neglect, however, was nothing compared to what happened to them upon discovery: the books were burned in an oven, confiscated and sold on the black market, before they were eventually deciphered. It is a miracle in itself that they survived. What they revealed stunned the world.
These were the Gnostic Gospels, alternative Christian texts – poems, myths, philosophy and gospels – which challenge those of the New Testament at every turn. The Gospel of Thomas records sayings of Jesus unlike any we have ever heard; that of Philip describes Mary Magdalene as Christ’s companion ‘whom he loved more than all the disciples’. One text tells the story of the Garden of Eden from the serpent’s point of view, while another casts God as partly feminine. Lyrical and powerful, there is no doubting the passion and devotion that created this poetry.
Recent scholarship indicates that many of these documents were contemporary with the New Testament. So why were they suppressed? Did they represent ‘inconvenient truths’ which the early church fathers wanted obliterated at all costs? In this superb collection, which includes three other uncovered treasures – the Gospel of Judas, the Gospel of Mary and the Book of the Stranger – the world’s leading Gnostic scholars open the window in order to shed light onto one of archaeology’s most exciting and controversial discoveries."

The Bible is proven the Word of God against the test of time. It survives miraculously. Now you are bewildered by the genious of these Gnostic scholars having found another documents considered to be contemporary with the Holy Scriptures?

I think you must considered the following:

1) If you believe the Bible as God's infallible Word, 2 Timothy 3:16 says that all scriptures is given by inspiration of God and is beneficial for everything so that man may achieve the righteousness of God.

2) "To the truth and to the testimony, if they speak not according to this Word (Bible) it is because there is no light in them" (Isaiah 8:20). The Gnostic Gospels presented an extreme contradiction of the revelation and love of God for our salvation.

3) God miraculously preserved the Bible just like what the gnostic claim. But God didnt not alow them to be included in the Canon may because they have nothing but lies.

4) God is doing everything just to reveal His love for us. Satan also is doing his everything to destroy God's plan of salvation. Gnostic? Maybe Satan has something to do with it.

agta
03-30-2008, 12:22 AM
The Bible is the account of God's action in the world and his purpose with all creation. The writing of the Bible took place over sixteen centuries and is the work of over forty human authors. It is a quite amazing collection of 66 books with very different styles all containing the message God desired us to have. So thats why They called it WORD OF GOD.. i guess...:)
By what authority did that person declare that the bible has only 66 books?

Jeff
03-31-2008, 10:01 AM
The bible was written with different writers guided by the holy spirit to write what they account during those times. Of course we cant expect writers to have a convention and agreed that they called what they compiled as Bible. What is important for us to understand that those written are the words of GOD or the book of life. It is like an ordinary novel of course one author, he/she can name the title of his/her opus what ever he/she like.

brategamete
02-17-2009, 03:29 PM
By what authority did that person declare that the bible has only 66 books?

The canon.

Jesus never quoted the other 6.

brategamete
02-17-2009, 03:33 PM
well, as ive read the bible since i was a kid i haven't stumble upon the word BIBLE-- and it keeps me wondering for years--- while when i was in MINDANAO during my high school days-- ive read the Qur'an of the muslims and found the word Qur'an inside the book Qur'an... and guess what there is only 1 version of the book --- unlike the BIBLE that has so many versions--- yeah, you could say that i should read with the Bible with intelligence -- what about being keen?keen enough to notice even a simple detail like this?even a small leak can sink a boat, remember?

Simple. Because the BIBLE is the Word of God. Those holy men of God did not plan to write the Bible. They were just inspired by the Holy Ghost.

C muhammad dili inspired ni Allah...He planned to write the Koran. So he wrote the word koran in it...

Heheeheheh...joke

brategamete
02-17-2009, 03:43 PM
The word Bible is not found in english bible.

But the word biblia is found in greek bible.

1 Macabees 12:9

"9 ἡμεῖς οὖν ἀπροσδεεῖς τούτων ὄντες παράκλησιν ἔχοντες τὰ βιβλία τὰ ἅγια τὰ ἐν ταῖς χερσὶν ἡμῶν"

The stressed words is transliterated as ta biblia ta hagia.

agta
02-17-2009, 10:19 PM
The canon.

Jesus never quoted the other 6.
What Canon? And what are those six?

agta
02-17-2009, 10:28 PM
The word Bible is not found in english bible.

But the word biblia is found in greek bible.

1 Macabees 12:9

"9 ἡμεῖς οὖν ἀπροσδεεῖς τούτων ὄντες παράκλησιν ἔχοντες τὰ βιβλία τὰ ἅγια τὰ ἐν ταῖς χερσὶν ἡμῶν"

The stressed words is transliterated as ta biblia ta hagia.

Are you sure you believe in Macabees?

O, nakabasa ka anang Greyego? Claro kaayo ang nakasuwat diha: sacred books! Dili Bible oy.

Nia ang 1 Macabees 12:9 (http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/1maccabees/1maccabees12.htm),

"Though we have no need of these things, since we have for our encouragement the sacred books that are in our possession,"

spartacus
02-18-2009, 03:41 AM
i am amazed by one of the forumers nga gibasa kuno niya ang biblia, wa niya mbasa ang pulong biblia or bible in english.

sa didto siya sa mindanao, gibasa niya ang quran nya nabasa niya ang word nga quran, sa librong quran itself. so, he/she prefers to believe quran rather than the bible. that's how i understood his/her post.

alagad igsu, kamabaw ra ba nimog basihan uy. wa ka kyape? :D

ang word nga "bible" comes from the greek word "biblion" which means a "book", in latin pluran form, "biblia".

the word "bible", per se, has nothing to do with salvation, nganong kini man gyud inyong tripan? unta, ang tudlo o sugo sa dios maoy tumanon nga nakasuwat sulod sa biblia. di ba?

with regards to various bible translations, just refer to the original manuscripts if and when in doubt. electronically, it's possible nowadays. else, you have to buy copies of these manuscripts, then you have to study the languages i.e. hebrew, greek, armaic, latin and whathaveyou. :D

ang quran, as far as i know, wala ni nka sulat sa una. i-recite ra ni sa mga believers (muslims). sa dihang nahisulat na, ambot sa unsang rason, gi translate napod ni into other language(s). and so on, and so forth, etc., etc..

with all those situations, bottom line is, hain man sa duha ka libro ang nag tudlo ug maayong balita o kaluwasan?

asa man ka mosunod, sa librong nag tudlo nga patyon ang mga infidels (non-believers)? o sa libro nga nag tudlo nga higugmaon ninyo ang inyong kaaway?

esep-esep igsu... asalamu alaikum....

brategamete
02-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Are you sure you believe in Macabees?

O, nakabasa ka anang Greyego? Claro kaayo ang nakasuwat diha: sacred books! Dili Bible oy.

Nia ang 1 Macabees 12:9 (http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/1maccabees/1maccabees12.htm),

"Though we have no need of these things, since we have for our encouragement the sacred books that are in our possession,"

You are right my friend.

But this thread talks should talk about if the word BIBLE is found in the Bible.

My answer is no.

But the word BIBLIA is found in greek.

This thread is non-sense to me. But I guess it's enough to satisfy the maker of this thread.

brategamete
02-18-2009, 10:40 PM
What Canon? And what are those six?

I'm not familiar with the canon. But that's what I heard from the orthodox churches.

The 6 books are the deutero-canonical books that were added in the catholic bible.

brategamete
02-18-2009, 10:44 PM
i am amazed by one of the forumers nga gibasa kuno niya ang biblia, wa niya mbasa ang pulong biblia or bible in english.

The word BIBLE is not found in the english Bible or any english versions.

Ang bisaya sa bible mao ang BIBLIA.

This word, BIBLIA is found in the greek bible.

I think this end the thread.

brategamete
02-18-2009, 10:48 PM
alagad igsu, kamabaw ra ba nimog basihan uy. wa ka kyape? :D

Tinood ka igsu. Mabaw jud.

Tanan nga mipatol ani nga thread, mabaw ug pangisip.

ang word nga "bible" comes from the greek word "biblion" which means a "book", in latin pluran form, "biblia".

Ok kaau ka igsu...sakto kaau ka...

brategamete
02-18-2009, 10:50 PM
with all those situations, bottom line is, hain man sa duha ka libro ang nag tudlo ug maayong balita o kaluwasan?

asa man ka mosunod, sa librong nag tudlo nga patyon ang mga infidels (non-believers)? o sa libro nga nag tudlo nga higugmaon ninyo ang inyong kaaway?

esep-esep igsu... asalamu alaikum....

Ato ni ipatubag sa mga Muslims o kon sa mga students of the Holy Quran.