PDA

View Full Version : Can a foreigner legally buy and own land in the Philippines?

jalmz
04-01-2008, 09:05 AM
NOTE: This email is forwarded by the Biliran Provincial Tourism Council Official Website..

NAME: Erik Hellstrom

I\'m a Swedish man 44 who really fall in love with you Island after talking with a wonderful lady from there! I have never visit your wonderful Island but be shore I will
The young Lady I talked to is a very good abassador for your Island
I have some questions! is it possible for me as a forignar to buy land there?
Coz I have a dream of a small Eco resort to be built very close to nature
and with very much care for the enviroment so I\'m really waiting for you reply and send your Governor
Rogelio.J Espina my best regards

jalmz
04-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi Erik,

You cannot own a land but you can buy or rent a house, instead let your wife(filipina) buy the land..

mybabe
04-01-2008, 09:27 AM
thats what i know, you can buy a lot but it should be in the filipina wife's name in the deed of sale...

Bill Gregory
04-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Foreigners can lease land, so you can buy the land in a friend's name but as part of the completion of all the documents there should be a leasing agreement giving you total control of the land for 99 years. Then should you and your friend fall out then you are safeguarded.

Pauwooly
04-01-2008, 12:58 PM
hi there,
Yes you can buy a property, but it will be on your "wife's" or "girlfriend's" name... You can only own the 49% of the property and 51% of the lady... To be safe, put the name of the property on both of you...

Pau

shanebo
04-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Erik,
As a foreinger living in Biliran Province for 13 years my advice would be to visit first and be sure that your still in Love with Biliran. Sometimes things look and smell good, but they taste bad. I personally like Biliran and the people there are really good people. As Bill Gregory mentioned, leasing land would be a good option in your situation.
Just My Thoughts!!!
Shanebo

jujebage
04-18-2008, 09:43 AM
how about a foreigner who hold a dual citizenship.

robert
05-04-2008, 02:51 AM
a dual citizen can own a property in the phil.. please, checkout with the immigration office for much clearer advice then hire a lwyer.good luck.:)

shanebo
05-15-2008, 01:58 AM
If your a duel citizen then you are not a foreinger. Robert is correct the best information out there on this issue is thru the immigration office/website. That is the only thing Gloria ever did worth a damn was to let Filipino expats of other countires regain their Filipino citizenship. I guess she seen the $$$$ she was missing out on. Just my Thoughts!!!

manresa
05-25-2008, 11:34 PM
hi erik,

Generally, only filipinos are allowed by law to acquire lands in the Philippines, be it by purchase, transfer or assignment. An exception to the rule is through hereditary succession. However, Erik, there are ways in which you may still exercise possessory rights despite not being an owner considering the prohibition. The following are the most applicable to your situation, considering your plans to stay in the province and establish some kind of a resort:

1. LEASE the property-this is the most practical thing to do and least time consuming.

2. Execute a TRUST AGREEMENT with a Filipino trustee-Your trustee will appear as the "nominal owner" of the property holding in trust the property acquired by you.

3. FORM A CORPORATION: You can form a corporation with some Filipino partners, the capital investment sharing in this manner is 60% Filipino, 40% Foreigner...Foreigners intending to establish a resort or tourism facility usually prefer this form of property acquisition....

Hope I am able to help you...

shanebo
05-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Now thats some good information. Thanks Manresa

manresa
05-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Hi Shanebo!

U'r Welcome! It's one pro bono work....