PDA

View Full Version : philippine democracy: authentic or not?

chaochoa
07-16-2009, 09:52 PM
hai biliranons! i'm a political science freshman student. just want to ask some help from you. i'm having a research now about the democracy of our country; of how people view it. What can you say about our democracy? Is it really authentic? Your participation is much appreciated. Thanks! :)

agta
07-17-2009, 06:59 AM
To me, it is a fake democracy because this nation is in truth not free. This country is virtually a slave of the World Bank, the IMF, and other loan institutions. The congress of this country, for instance, is not free when they decide on the budget. They have to abide with the conditions accompanying the loan that this country incurred. One of such condition is the automatic inclusion in the national budget of a big fixed portion of the budget for payment of loan interests. In effect, the budget for education, health, and other governmental services for its citizens become so minimal.

To cope up with its loan interest obligations, the government engaged, one, in VAT which by domino effect further raise the prices of commodities. And two, the government disposed of its properties to private entities in order to convert them to cash. And three, more currently, the government wants that it be allowed to sell Philippines lands to foreigners. This they do by desiring to change what they call "economic provisions" of the constitution. Economic provisions actually refer to "allowing this government to sell the Philippines" to foreigners.

With all that, is democracy in this country real? I would say NO. Where there is no freedom, there is no democracy!