Notices

Thread: Why Do People Lie?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Question Why Do People Lie? 
    Why do people lie? makes me wonder why?

2. Default Very good question! 
    In my view lying differs very little from stealing - stealing is taking something physical that does not belong to you, lying is trying to steal from someone else's mind.

I was interested to read in my seven-year-old's schoolbook that "Moses told God the truth because he loved God". I was quite amazed and concerned to read this because I would have thought that Moses would have told God the truth because it was the right thing to do! Are we teaching our children lying is OK as long as it's to someone you don't love? Should they be or become non-believers, is lying OK anyway according to this reasoning?

Lying is a bad thing. Telling the truth and owning up if you make a mistake or have an accident is the right thing to do. Deceiving is the same thing as lying.

3. Default  
    in my opinion, there are many forms of lying... there are white lies... wherein most of us are prone to it... because sometimes we need to protect something or someone... i think it depends... if your reason for lying is to save a person's life --- its a worthy lie... if it's for deception and to cause pain to others --- well, kargo di konsensya mo na yun...hehehe...

4. Default The term 'white lie' is unfortunate 
    ........because as you say they are so common and mostly are not really lies. For example to cheer someone up by saying "you look nice today" when they don't really, deserves a word like 'pleasentry' which doesn't have a bad connotation. I read a quote recently along the lines of most lies being told to the ones you love or are closest to, but the quote really meant harmless pleasentries rather real lies.

Many little jokes do not deserve the appelation 'lie' although indeed the joke depends on the untruthfulness. I suspect that the original posters was asking about 'real' lies though.

5. Default  
    real lies!? like... when a man cheated to his wife... and he's not telling the truth about it? maybe he's protecting their relationship?avoiding hurting he's wife? feeling so sorry because he was too weak to resist temptations?.... lies like...your boyfriend has 2 sons with another woman and didn't even bother telling you?...i think kahit anong lies... are done with a reason/s... pero no matter what… Satan still the one who pushes us to commit lying and worse we succumb to it sometimes…

6. Default  
    There are many reason why people lie, but generally speaking it has something to do with the outcome of a situation.

7. Default Are you clean from within? 
    people lie about things because they wanna hide or pretend to be someone else.. They lie to be accepted..They lie to protect themselves from judgment... Lying is a natural phenomenon all of us lie for so many reasons... We can't avoid to lie. All of us can answer this question coz we all lie to people even to God. One of the reasons we lie is because we want to boast our self-esteem and to be more confident in every actions we do...We lie to someone because we want to be accepted... We lie to protect ourselves and the people we love from harm....

8. Default telling lies.. 
    Why do people lie? Hmm we all experienced telling a lie to someone...(Dont tell me you didnt have you're a hypocrite!) We are all just human prone to make mistakes. Lying is a form of Sin in which Satan love most. Even though its just a white lies to protect ourselves or somebody but still its a LIE and its a sin... I know someone living in lies, she doesnt know what is reality now... And if you confront her about the lying words she utter, she will never accept it. Some people loves telling a lies, specially if you are in the business. You have to tell a lie to sold ur items... If i were you, if somebody ask u about the truth, just avoid the question so that you cannot tell a lie.. But u know what guys, according to the bible, THE TRUTH WILL SETS YOU FREE.. so, dli nalang ta mamakak para ma free tah from devil's yoke.... pero ambot ngano ganahan jd ko mamakak!! hehehee

9. Default Can't agree with some of your points 
    Firstly a white lie to protect yourself is a lie - not a white lie. To protect someone else is a grey area depending on what you are trying to protect them from. Be careful to look at the possible consequences as you could get the person you are protecting and yourself into even deeper trouble.

A white lie which I have described earlier as a pleasentry is not a sin and has nothing to do with Satan.

Business is no excuse for lying. If you are selling faulty products you should be ashamed of yourself. I have invariably found that if you are honest about your product being more expensive or having fewer features, the customer will still buy from you if the difference is not too great - customers appreciate honesty. Disparaging other people's products will make you untrustworthy in your customer's eyes and you could lose the sale that way. If you are honest and ethical but still lose a sale at least you know that you have done your best to treat the customer with the respect that they deserve and guess what, not only will you have a clear conscience, but your customer will talk to others about your approach and will be likely to come back to you for their next purchase.

Idealistic? No, just good sense.

10. Default  
    What about the work of lawyers? Mostly of them are making stories or telling lies for them to win the case?What do you call them? White lies or what? Any form of lies is a sin, no matter if this is a small, medium or large,, black white or gray..... Your being hypocrite if you will say something to someone which is not true, you're not being true to yourself and to someone.... Remember, LIERS GO TO HELL.... heheheh Its only my idea...
    Last edited by Hamadash; 01-22-2008 at 08:46 PM.

Thread Information