Notices
 

Thread: Corruption in the government

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44
  1. Default Corruption in the government 
    #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mindoro
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    17
    It is a fact that corruption in the government is a way of life. It is called a part of the culture of the people that is institutionalized or became a habit. Bribeng a govenment officials and employees to make your transactions with them fast. Is it moral to give bribe to the government? Is it moral for the government to indulge in any economic activities. To answer these questions, we need to know what exactly is the ONLY PROPER FUNCTION OF THE GOVERNMENT in the life of each individual citizens. And before we can answer that we have to know exactly what is the nature of man and its relations to reality. We have to know exactly what is the nature of reality.

    In short, what are the ideas being thought in our schools from elementary to colleges. Who are the most influencial in this area. Is it not the religious sector? Ateneo, la Salle, UST, and many others are under the influencial teaching of the religouos philosophy and ideas? What are the ideas being thought in these schools leads into actions in our culture and the kind of government we have.

    Logically, to reform is to change ideas. To change ideas that are influencialy taught in our schools. And this is a very long and very tiring process BUT DOABLE AND ACHIEVABLE.

    "To save the world is the simpliest thing in the world. All one has to do is think." -Leonard Piekoff
     

  2. Default  
    #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    649
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by acpatagnan View Post
    It is a fact that corruption in the government is a way of life. It is called a part of the culture of the people that is institutionalized or became a habit. Bribeng a govenment officials and employees to make your transactions with them fast. Is it moral to give bribe to the government? Is it moral for the government to indulge in any economic activities. To answer these questions, we need to know what exactly is the ONLY PROPER FUNCTION OF THE GOVERNMENT in the life of each individual citizens. And before we can answer that we have to know exactly what is the nature of man and its relations to reality. We have to know exactly what is the nature of reality.

    In short, what are the ideas being thought in our schools from elementary to colleges. Who are the most influencial in this area. Is it not the religious sector? Ateneo, la Salle, UST, and many others are under the influencial teaching of the religouos philosophy and ideas? What are the ideas being thought in these schools leads into actions in our culture and the kind of government we have.

    Logically, to reform is to change ideas. To change ideas that are influencialy taught in our schools. And this is a very long and very tiring process BUT DOABLE AND ACHIEVABLE.

    "To save the world is the simpliest thing in the world. All one has to do is think." -Leonard Piekoff
    In short also, we need to know what really is MORAL and what is IMMORAL. Ateneo, Lasalle, UST? What is their logical relation to the rampant immorality/corruption in Government? Have you ever conducted a research/study as to how many of those in government today graduated from these schools?
     

  3. Default  
    #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Butuan City
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,051
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by agta View Post
    In short also, we need to know what really is MORAL and what is IMMORAL. Ateneo, Lasalle, UST? What is their logical relation to the rampant immorality/corruption in Government? Have you ever conducted a research/study as to how many of those in government today graduated from these schools?

    It will be unfair if we are going to link corruptions to the product of the mentioned schools no meaning. What really need to know is the root of corruption how it started, what drives people to corrupt, is it the system? or the individual to blame? Identifying all the source is not enough, what we need is the counter measures to stamp out corruption. Thinking with out action is futile.
     

  4. Default  
    #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    649
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    It will be unfair if we are going to link corruptions to the product of the mentioned schools no meaning. What really need to know is the root of corruption how it started, what drives people to corrupt, is it the system? or the individual to blame? Identifying all the source is not enough, what we need is the counter measures to stamp out corruption. Thinking with out action is futile.
    That's right! UST, Lasalle, Ateneo, or any school/institution for that matter...they don't have to be mentioned when we speak of corruption in government.
    For me, corruption is just an outgrowth of a "cancer". It is a manifestation of the fallen nature of man. When the men (as a generic term, includes male and female) composing society remains in their fallen nature, we can expect corruption to remain too. What we should do therefore is to strive to liberate man from his fallen nature. How? The task is not easy because we have to take into account that man has free will. We do not simply impose our will upon another against the latter's will. We start from our individual homes. We start to show love. But we cannot show real love if we do not have it. Where or from who shall we get that love? We get it from the fountain of love, Jesus Christ. The primary task therefore is to know Jesus Christ and become part of Him.
     

  5. Default  
    #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mindoro
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    17
    The government officials we have today are all graduates from prestigious and religous schools and they are also a graduate from foreign schools. Generally, schooling starts from our own home (teachings from our parents) then elementary, high schools and colleges. What are the moral philosophy being taught in those schools, in general, the fundamentals. Is it not the religous moral philosophy?

    It is a fact, our President is the product of Assumption college, the first gentleman is the product of Ateneo. Former president, Erap is the product of Ateneo only to mention the few. Our government officials are intelligent, bright and the living products of our educational instition mostly from religous sector. But still we have this corruption, scandals and bribery and will alway be there in the government. This is the symptoms and effects of much more deeper caused. And the only reason of the root cause of it all that I can pinpoint is what is being inputted in the mind from the early age. What is the dominant philosophy, teachings that is being bombarded in the minds of man.
    In the computer lingo garbage in, garbage out. What is being put in the mind can be put out in a form of actions and expressions.
    Now the question is what moral philosophy, generally, is being taught in our schools by the influencial religious sector? What are moral philosophy taught by our parent on the start of our life?

    Yes, man has a free will. We are free to choose a kind of moral philosophy to put in our minds and in the minds of our children. We are free to use our mind or not to use it or to misuse it. The question is what kind of input do you have since birth in your mind? What kind of moral philosophy? For sure it is the dominant religous moral philosophy. Then you will ask what's wrong with the religious moral philosophy? You have to find it out yourself by the use of your own tool which is your mind.
    Last edited by acpatagnan; 02-24-2008 at 04:41 AM.
     

  6. Default  
    #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    paraƱaque,manila
    Posts
    129
    Rep Power
    17
    iti s in the culture whether we like it or not....and to stop the corruption, it will start in ourselves...i give credit to the effort of some religious group by giving shelter to those whisle blower in the community.
     

  7. Default  
    #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    649
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by acpatagnan View Post
    Yes, man has a free will. We are free to choose a kind of moral philosophy to put in our minds and in the minds of our children. We are free to use our mind or not to use it or to misuse it. The question is what kind of input do you have since birth in your mind? What kind of moral philosophy? For sure it is the dominant religous moral philosophy. Then you will ask what's wrong with the religious moral philosophy? You have to find it out yourself by the use of your own tool which is your mind.
    What is your basis for saying that the dominant "input" for sure is the religious moral philosophy? Was there an official study/research conducted about it or is it based only on your personal experience? If it is based only on your personal experience then it could be yours alone. For my experience is very much different. I graduated from a private religious school. But there, the dominant inputs are not religious moral philosophy. Different subjects are given equal treatment so that the student receives a balanced education. But education does not depend solely on inputs. It is shaped by various factors most often conflict with each other, but moral philosophy is almost not included among the inputs. Therefore, to say that the dominant input since birth is religious moral philosophy is not accurate.
    Last edited by agta; 02-25-2008 at 08:33 AM.
     

  8. Default  
    #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mindoro
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    17
    When I say religious morality, it is the religious knowledge of what is right and wrong, of what is good and evil. It is ethics. Ethics is a code of actions or guide for man's action. The dominant ethics we have is christian ethics. Christianity is one of the religions of the world. And the root of ethics can be traced back to metaphysics and epistemology. Ethics is the application or the technology of metaphysics and epistemology. Metaphysics refers to overall view of nature of existence, of reality and epistemelogy is the method of how to acquire knowledge. In religious metaphysics, in general, their view about the nature of things is that it is created by supernatural being, it is chaotic, miraculous and therefore unstable, unpredictable, unknowable (the mind is not capable of knowing) and subject to the whims of supernatural being. What then is their method of knowledge (epistemology)? How does religion come up to that knowledge of their metaphysical view of nature, of existence? And the only answer is by FAITH. Faith is acceptance without any questions about proof or evidence. And this mental set up leads to actions (ethics,morality) that are contradictory and dichotomy. To simply summarized my point with regard to religion is as follows:

    Metaphysics: nature of things were created by supernatural being.
    Epistemology: knowledge come only from that supernatural being by
    faith, the mind is impotent and secondary to faith.
    Ethics: man's action should be the obedience to supernatural being,
    sacrificing self to God or to others as the prime function of man's
    life here on earth.(Altruism and collectivism) Politics is the social application of ethics Authoritarianism, dictatorship, communism, fascism and socialism and even democracy (the rule of majority) are identified as results of the above view.

    With respect to religious schools I mentioned, in humanities and philosophy subjects are most probably emphazised on the catholic teachings or christian ethics. The above summary are what can be identifies as their fundamentals in general. Overall it is fundamentallly religious ideas and with the mixture of science. If you accept religion or faith as the method of knowledge which do you accept: the idea of creationism or the idea of evolution?

    Now with regards to ethics, there is an alternative to religous ethics (christian ethics, islamic ethics, hindu ethics, buddist ethics etc) and that is ETHICS BASED ON REASON ONLY.
     

  9. Default  
    #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mindoro
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by mybabe View Post
    iti s in the culture whether we like it or not....and to stop the corruption, it will start in ourselves...i give credit to the effort of some religious group by giving shelter to those whisle blower in the community.
    In other word, a person is the product of his own mind-a mind that had been acquiring false ideas, wrong teachings without any questions from religions.

    How about on the otherside of the fence (the Aroryo side)? They have also priest, they held masses? Do you think it is a battle for competition for the hearing from supernatural being called God?

    Don't you observed that most filipino cultures were based on religious mysticism? Don't you observed that it is the root cause of all false idea then therefore corruption is the symptoms?
     

  10. Default  
    #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Europe/ South East Asia
    Age
    93
    Posts
    430
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by acpatagnan View Post
    In other word, a person is the product of his own mind-a mind that had been acquiring false ideas, wrong teachings without any questions from religions.

    How about on the otherside of the fence (the Aroryo side)? They have also priest, they held masses? Do you think it is a battle for competition for the hearing from supernatural being called God?

    Don't you observed that most filipino cultures were based on religious mysticism? Don't you observed that it is the root cause of all false idea then therefore corruption is the symptoms?
    I USED TO THINK THAT CORRUPTIONS AND CRIMINALITY
    IN THE PHILIPPINES WERE CAUSED BY POVERTY
    BUT RECENT EVENTS TELL ME THIS IS NOT TRUE
    IT IS ONE THING TO SEE PEOPLE TURN INTO DRUG ADDICTS
    PROSTITUTES, THIEVES AND MURDERERS BECAUSE
    OF HUNGER AND POVERTY. BUT WHAT EXCUSE DO THESE
    RICH, EDUCATED PEOPLE HAVE THAT COULD POSIBLY
    EXPLAIN THEIR BIZARRE BEHAVIOR? AND TO THINK I WAS
    ALWAYS SO RELIEVED WHEN PETTY SNATCHERS
    GOT CAUGHT AND LOCKED AWAY IN JAIL BECAUSE
    I NEVER FULLY REALIZED THAT THE BIG TIME
    THIEVES WERE OUT THERE, MAKING THE LAWS
    AND RUNNING THE COUNTRY. CAN IT GET ANY WORSE
    THAN THIS..?

    I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY CRIMINALS ROAMING AROUND
    UNFETTERED AND LOOKING SMUG UNTIL NOW. THESE
    CRIMINALS WEAR SUITS AND EXPENSIVE BARONGS
    STRUT AROUND WITH CONFIDENCE OF THE RICH AND
    FAMOUS, INSPIRE FEAR AND AWE FROM THE VERY CITIZENS
    WHO VOTED THEM TO POWER, BEAR TITLES LIKE HONORABLE
    SENATOR, JUSTICE, GENERALS AND WORSE PRESIDENT
    OR RELATIVES AND HUSBAND OF THOSE HONORABLE
    DAW..PEOPLE. IRONICALLY THESE LAWLESS INDIVIDUALS
    PRACTICE LAW *MAKE OUR LAWS ENFORCE THE LAW* AND
    I WONDER WHY OUR POLICEMEN ACT THE WAY THE
    DO. THESE ARE THEIR LEADERS AND THE LEADERS OF
    OUR NATION. ROBIN HOODLUM AND THIER BANDS OF MONEYMEN
    THEIR MOTTO ROB THE POOR AND INOCENT, MODERATE THE GREED OF THE RICH...
    life is short and borrowed make the BEST of it to the fullest. Life
    is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat
    you right.. Forget about the one's who don't. Believe everything happens
    for a reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.
    If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be
    easy, they just promised it would be worth
    it.
     

Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What is corruption?
    By Jeff in forum Government & State of Affairs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 10:54 AM
  2. LTO Corruption in Naval
    By bill_gates in forum Chikka of the Town
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 08:42 PM
  3. The ONLY proper function of the government
    By acpatagnan in forum Let's Debate!
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 07:40 AM
  4. The Nature of Government
    By acpatagnan in forum Literature, Arts & Sciences
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 03:53 PM
  5. what is the common denominator between arroyo and marcos government???
    By mybabe in forum Government & State of Affairs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 04:59 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •