Notices

Thread: Is it honestly safe in Biliran for foreigners?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Is it honestly safe in Biliran for foreigners? 
    Im a NZ citizen who has been residing in Naval for 3 years now.
    I have a wife and a 16month old son.
    We care for my wifes sister and have a house maid.

We live a quiet modest life and have NEVER had any problems with anyone causing us any trouble here (up until now.).

We love Biliran and dont want to leave. The people are so beautiful, kind and peaceful.

Recently I have been targeted by a group of people after an attack involving myself, our children & two other (New Zealand) foreigners.

One man (who was with us) was robbed at gunpoint by 3 men about a year ago in Balaquid. The men jumped his fence and stole belongings and cash and terrorized his family. He has been here for 14 years.

The other foreigner was a NZ citizen (accompanied by his girlfriend), on his first trip to the Philippines. I dont think he was impressed by the ordeal and may not return.

I cannot convey much about the case as it is currently pending investigation. However I will say this. I am fearing for my families safety and am concerned that if I dont pay the ammount these people want there may be further court and costs.

as for other foreigners (OR PHILIPPINOS!) who are attacked by anyone:
    get to the police station FAST and file a report, regardless of how minor or severe your injuries are. Do this BEFORE the others involved get there first.

or you may end up in the same predicament I am in!

I will add more to this post as things evolve. Then we will know if justice is available for innocent victims or not...

so whats your opion fellow citizens of the human race:
    is it really safe here for foreigners?????
    Last edited by philem; 01-26-2009 at 07:21 AM. Reason: i was advised to remove my picture/signature of my family and I

2. Default  
    The world is ruled by Satan....

Biliran is as safe as anywhere else...

It is even safer to be here than in any other place on earth...

3. Default  
    hi philem,

We will invetigate this issue.. thanks for sharing this..

Happy New year!..

jalmz
    "the heart has its reasons which reasons cannot understand"....

4. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by agta View Post
    The world is ruled by Satan....

Biliran is as safe as anywhere else...

It is even safer to be here than in any other place on earth...
    Safe? How safe? A doctor being murdered in her own residence. Foreigner being robbed. An ordinary fish vendor being robbed. Drugs being sold like hot cake. Will you call that safe?

5. Default  
    Israel is a place where our dear lord jesus christ born is no longer called safe heaven for all of us. It's not true anymore that a leon is the most feared animal no, it's a Man. Anything happened after a blink of an eye, where is the safest? no one can tell.

6. Default  
    Nothing is safe in this world phil even in new zealand. Where you came from. A lot of criminality as well. Biliran is safe but not in wrong place and in a wrong time if you get what i mean..no matter where you are where you go and do.,if it is your time then thats it..boom off you go. No mentioning biliran alone because criminality, robbery, all devils are all over in this universe..i tell you this because my husband of 11 yrs is also a foreigner and we go home once or twice a year and we are very heavy travelers due to our job. We even travel to those remote area including saudi arabia.india and pakistan. Until now we are safe?? Who knows...maybe here in singapore but...as i told you not in a wrong place and in wrong time..
    life is short and borrowed make the BEST of it to the fullest. Life
    is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat
    you right.. Forget about the one's who don't. Believe everything happens
    for a reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.
    If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be
    easy, they just promised it would be worth
    it.

7. Default  
    hi Phil!!! sry to hear about what happened to you and your friends...i can certainly relate to the emotions that you feel for it happened to me, in my building, while coming home from work one day some years ago! i was robbed at gun point in the elevator by this young black teenager! yes, he was apprehended the following day, jailed for a week and back to what he does normally... FOREIGNERS ARE NEVER SAFE ANYWHERE!!!
    "que sera, sera... what will be, will be"

8. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Europa View Post
    Nothing is safe in this world phil ..

I say, amen to my good friend, Phil..nothing is guaranteed
    while we are still alive. Even in the million-valued-house
    neighborhood, crimes and robberies do happen. That's why
    there is such thing as "Crime Watch Neighborhood" program
    in a highly suburban areas. Ever heard of the Maddoff guy
    scamming the wealthiest and smartest? That's another crime
    but the point is we live in an imperfect world and bad things
    do bound to happen no matter how careful we are. There are
    vultures and predators wearing suits and designer clothes
    or barong tagalog.

Considering of buying a gun to fight back or get even if
    your family is physically threatened? Good you reported
    to the proper authorities of the grave threats but be a
    good boy scout.

Keep your eyes and mind open, man. Don't appear to be
    a weakling/too nice or people everywhere tend to abuse
    you whether you are a foreigner or kapwa pinoy in
    the Philippines, your home country or everywhere.

Bulahang bag-ong TUIG sa tanan.
    Last edited by pinoyisip; 01-07-2009 at 01:22 AM.

9. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by philem View Post
    is it really safe here for foreigners?????
    I understand your frustration. I have considered moving closer to my wife's family (near Naval) and have investigated that same question. My conclusion is that it is as safe in Biliran for foreigners as it is for filipinos. How safe is that? Keep your eyes and ears open and you will soon know the answer. Here are some references from this very web site:

" . . . shooting incident that took place infront of the building owned by the father of Congressman Glenn A. Chong . . ."
    http://biliranisland.com/blogs/?p=153

" . . . former Governor of Biliran Atty. Danilo M. Parilla who was gunned down . . ."
    http://biliranisland.com/blog/?p=712

" . . . a police officer is the victim of another shooting incident. . ."
    http://biliranisland.com/blog/?p=445

" . . . five men, armed with knives, robbed the Biliran Electric cooperative (Bilico) in Naval . . .
    http://biliranisland.com/blog/?p=327

I'm sure you can find more. My solution would be to become friendly with people of influence and yes, that often requires paying for protection. Unlike the developed countries, I find the police force here to be overworked and underpaid. People expect you to hire protection. If you do not, you will eventually be targeted. If you want to prove that to yourself, ask the local police chief if he has any off duty officers looking for extra work. I bet that you will find an off duty cop who will keep an eye on your place for a reasonable amount and I bet your problems will then disappear.

10. Default Is Biliran safe for foreigners? 
    G'day from down under.I am new to this forum so pls allow me to say a quick HI.
    Phil,i am so sad to know about that horrible incident;and at thesame time feel embarassed as a filipino.As you know, there are so many pinoys without a job or food to eat even for a day, thats why they resort to this sort of violence, and they see you as a target. So, to answer your question, i agree with europa, no one is safe anywhere in the philippines.

Just be careful next time.Keep your eyes open..or get the biggest dog you can find in the philippines,that might help a bit..Or stay near your wife's family and friends. It's a shame though because you're suppose to enjoy your life and not worry about it..especially in Biliran which is suppose to be a paradise.

I know you have reported the incident to the local police which is really a good idea.,but you just have to be patience as it usually takes forever. You might wanna do an under the table transaction.I know its not a good idea, but sometimes it works, or is expected.Sorry.

My husband loves it there.Happy people and really nice culture.He likes the idea that everything there is so slow, time is not important, no one is rushing so you have all the time in the world to relax.

We did consider moving there too..but we'll see.

Phil cheer up mate! Keep us posted.

Thread Information