Notices

Thread: Is it honestly safe in Biliran for foreigners?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default update on attack by gang of 5... 
    we have just returned from nearly a week away from the turmoils of our situation. we all slept well and now I'm back to normal (since the attack) of waking eearly and sleeping late.

Our attackers tried extorting money from us, however never appeared at the police station when required a week ago.
    They told the police the (ring leader) main accussor was getting on a plane to go overseas for work. He is a seaman.
    No formal retraction has been recieved so its still unclear of thier intentions...

thank you all for your comments and kind words of support. They are greatly appreciated...
    Last edited by philem; 01-25-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: i was advised to remove my picture/signature of my family and I

2. Default update on bottle attack by gang of 5... 
    yeah, these are terrible times we live in throughout the world.

The instigators of the attack have now issued me with a summonds to go to court.

I just wish I could get my family out.
    Young children were present when we were attacked, and have ongoing issues now to contend with as well.

I cant afford a big high fence or a guard dog.
    The people involved are not poor and do have the ability to 'sway' things thier way through thier influence.

This is a sad day for foreigners in Naval...
    Last edited by philem; 01-25-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: I was advised to remove my signature/photo of my family and I

3. Default  
    Good Luck, Philem!

Just walk with faith in your heart and mind...
    Last edited by agta; 01-23-2009 at 06:00 AM.

4. Default  
    philem dont worry we will help you..

i already posted your concern in the blogs.

http://biliranisland.com/blogs/?p=745
    "the heart has its reasons which reasons cannot understand"....

5. Default  
    Thanks jalmz for helping that poor guy!

It's a black eye to your effort to promote tourism of your yutang natawhan.

That's what I call little step forward for all mankind....pinoy man or estranghero.

Keep it up!

6. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyisip View Post
    Thanks jalmz for helping that poor guy!
    jalmz, i think we have to walk back up a little bit here.
    someone blogged in the general forum that the story is
    one sided, which is possible.

so we will just wait the wheel of justice takes its course.

just keep us updated what you learn independently.

salamat.

7. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyisip View Post
    we will just wait the wheel of justice takes its course.
    The wheels of justice turn more easily when average people push a little bit. By all means interview the other parties involved. If they have something to say then we should listen. After all, justice must not only be done, it must be seen to be done.

8. Default thankyou all for listening... 
    thankyou and God bless you all for listening and offering advice. Sorry if my post did seem one sided, I'm just seeking some justice here.

I agree wholeheartedly with all your replies.
    I challenge anyone to interview the other parties involved. This is what truth is all about- its getting to the bottom of things to see where deception and lies are started - and for what reason!

Thanks to Jalmz and the administrators for letting me bring this issue to the public and not suppressing it. It goes to show that there is 'freedom of speech' and justice in the media (here on Biliran Island.com anyway!!!)... thanks!

The main truths of the situation are:
    that the people involved in the attack were very drunk.
    They were stealing from our vechicle.

We cought them and when they were caught out and asked to return our items they retaliated.
    They started the fight and later said I alone attacked them (there were 5 men and 3 women).

I alledgedly injured 2 of the men in the skirmish, (this was defending my wife, myself and a friend who were also under attack).
    We escaped and got home (only 2 minutes drive down the road) only to find that 3 people had come to our home and terrorised our kids and housemaid, (who had escaped earlier).

It was at this stage that I got worried and proceeded to the police station to lodge a complaint. I didnt intend pressing charges (We only had minor injuries) but just wanted to fill out a blotter of the events as I was concerned for my families future safety.

The attackers were already there saying I had started the whole thing and were going to sue me in court if i didnt give them 20,000p. (later they said they would sue me for alot more than that and this would cost me hundreds of thousands of pesos).

Why would they say that I started it all? Well just think about it. My guess is they saw me as an easy target for money. Maybe thats being cynical but its often the case. (and they did order me to pay them 20,000p). Thats one reason.

I would say the other reason is (sadly) pride.
    3 men beating one man and yet two of them got hurt. They had all intentions of hurting me badly, but i was sober and dodged thier blows and able to defend myself. They were drunk, uncoordinated and must have thought they were Manny Pacquiao! This is only my opinion, but just think about it. This is thier pride were talking about here, not the minor injuries they sustained (or we sustained as well).

Please be informed: I WAS NOT DRUNK! I had only had 3 small beers! I was only showing my friend the establishment as he was a new visitor to the Philippines.

Yes, I am guilty of being angry when we were attacked, and I did 'lash out' when My friend and myself were attacked with the beer bottles. I will admit this -we feared for our lives and I felt trapped. This was purely in self defence and only to hold them back so that we could get away.

This is an extremely isolated incident at the establishment concerned. Normally it is a beautiful place for all people to visit- Philippinos and foreigners alike.

Sorry if people see this as a slur on Biliran Island. I do not mean it that way. I dont intend to injure the tourism industry here as we are all so reliant on it.

Biliran is a beautiful place with beautiful people. The majority of people here are kind and loving and very peaceful. As in all societies (around the world) theres always a few that are 'bad apples'.

I'm just saying that people need to be aware of the pitfalls of the way the justice system works here.

Some people with money and knowledge of the justice system (or friends in the justice system) do abuse it, and target others for money. These things are happening to ordinary local Philippinos and foreigners alike.
    Its the old saying: 'it's not what you know- its who you know!'.

So we will just see how things evolve and see if Justice is really for all....
    Last edited by philem; 01-25-2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: i was advised to remove my picture/signature of my family and I. (also I mispeled Pacquiao).

9. Default  
    Philem,

Please email Admin and ask for your message to be forwarded to me if you encounter problems with resolving your case.

Although it can be considered as an isolated incident, it is one more too many for Biliran which is trying to build its tourism industry. It is not right to subject any resident nor foreigners to any form of intimidation, physical attack, threats, extortion any other form of abuse that threatens their well being, their friends and families.

Please indicate if there are any persons of authority that may seem to have given protection to these people. I hope that your lawyer will seek for immediate resolution of the case.

I also hope that the new Provincial Commander will use this incident to prove, that he is serious about making Biliran safe for everyone.

If he fails, then Biliranons first impressions will last for the duration of his term.

10. Default BILIRAN is very Safe for foreigners 
    Yes the place is very safe. infact we've already serviced and brought many tourists to biliran thru our rent a car service. Haven's RENT A CAR now offers their SUV and sedan for self-drive. A great relief for those who want to travel to biliran with a little privacy and without the burden of bringing along a driver to feed and give shelter. They are located in Tacloban City and cars can be arranged to be picked up at the airport. They can be contacted @ (053)321-0846, (053)523-0765 or 09178067275

Thread Information