Notices

Thread: A Nation of Servants?

1. Default A Nation of Servants? 
    MANILA, Philippines - A militant woman lawmaker demanded an apology from a Hong Kong-based magazine which carried a bylined article describing the Philippines as a “nation of servants.”
    Congresswoman Risa Hontiveros of the party list group Akbayan took strong offense at the writer’s description and said the publication, “HK Magazine” of the Asia City Publishing Group based in Hong Kong, should immediately apologize to the Philippine government for the offensive and defamatory comments.
    The article, which carried the byline of a male Chinese writer Chip Tsao, was in protest against the Philippines claim to the disputed and resource-rich Spratly islands group in the South China Sea.
    Other neighboring nations, like Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia, are also staking their claim to parts of the Spratlys but it is China which is claiming full ownership of the territory historically and culturally.
    In his article, Tsao said Beijing should not bow to the Philippines because “there are more than 130,000 Filipino maids working on a HK$3,500 a month cheap labor in Hong Kong.”
    Tsao added: “As a nation of servants, you don’t flex your muscles at your master from whom you earn most of your bread and butter.”
    http://bloggista.org/2139-woman-lawm...ids-in-hk.html

2. Default  
    Sad but true, we are a nation of servants. We have a long history of serving the countries who conquered us: Spain, America, & Japan. We continued to serve other countries even after one hundred years of "Independence". This, however, does not give some Chinese "journalist" a right to insult us over a territorial dispute.I don't blame the Chinese for having that kind of mentality and thinking towards us. Filipinos are already known throughout the world for being the biggest supplier of manpower, labor and the likes. Have you ever seen a Japanese domestic helper? you get the point. i don't know... almost all Filipinos have dreams of going abroad and working there. I'm not saying that it's wrong or anything. I won't blame them. The job opportunities here and the salaries are not that adequate to sustain us all. The best thing that we can do is to uphold and maintain our dignity and pride even if we are working for someone who is not from our native land. we should know our rights and privileges and let them (foreigners) know their limitations.

3. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by wishfulThingking View Post
    Sad but true, we are a nation of servants..
    You should all be proud, not sad. I am a foreigner who has always had respect for Filipinos. I will tell you why in a moment. First you may want to read this article. You will be amused.

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?...es_april1_2009

Now you may want to know why I have had so much respect for Filipinos. Since I was a young man, in Canada, the employers would always bring Filipino workers to do our jobs. It is because THEY WORK HARDER than my fellow Canadians. We were all paid the same amount of money. If you are the boss, would you hire a hard working Filipino or a lazy local person. Not all Filipinos are such hard workers. I can only say that the ones who get positions in other countries must work very hard for that.

In Canada there is a welfare system. The local young people cry to the government that they need money, but they will not clean toilets, they will not wash dishes . . . who do yo have more respect for, the lazy people looking for handouts from the government or the people doing the hard work? Now you know why I have respect for these so called "servants". I salute you.

4. Default  
    Here in Singapore if you are a Filipino they thought the same A SERVANT, A MAID, my answer to that at least your children became a good citizens in this society THANKS to your MAID and SERVANT who educate your children..behind your five star hotels there are Filipino servants,,behind your media and press, there are Filipino..That tall buildings stand in your country here are the Filipino engineers..the nurses, the doctors, the teachers here we are Thanks to the Pilipino thanks to your servant without us you are nothing but a .....( too much to say} but in reality they need our talent because most of them have nothing but a THick head..I am proud to be a Filipino, I serve them for longer time but they need to pay my higher salary, my housing allowance my travel and my medical..my expenses WHY? This SERVANT are important the servant have knowledge kailangan nila ang utak natin..we are a Filipino the most valuable servant in some nations and we must proud about it..
    life is short and borrowed make the BEST of it to the fullest. Life
    is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat
    you right.. Forget about the one's who don't. Believe everything happens
    for a reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.
    If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be
    easy, they just promised it would be worth
    it.

5. Default  
    With out filipinas working as DH, I can't imagine what will happen on their economy.

Thread Information