Notices

Thread: Dive Shops in Biliran Island

1. Default Dive Shops in Biliran Island 
    Hi Jalmz

First of all, thanks so much for operating and maintaining your website. I have been a member for awhile and
    appreciate all the info and comments that are available there.

If / when you have time in your busy schedule could you let us know what this WAD Mall is all about? I seen it last
    time I was in Biliran and was told it was going to be apartments for rent. I also heard it was going to be a Jollibee's and
    a McDonalds.......

Also I noticed you are a Padi diver as am I, do you do any diving on or around Biliran? I would like too when I come
    back in Septmember but I cannot find a place to get the tanks or air fills. I was thinking I would have to go all the way
    to Southere Leyte to do some diving. This is a long way but doable cause we have a SUV in our place in Acaban. Unfortunately
    the roads are still unfinished up there so driving even to Naval is tiresome.

Thanks for what you bo bro and have a great day!

Ron Chrislip

Hi Ron,

WAD mall is an establishment that caters business people to rent space and it is located across Naval Supermart. There are existing business shop that are already operating inside the new mall.

I haven't heard that it would be Jolibee and MacDonald because there's no confirmation from the Local government and other well-known business man in Naval.

Biliran is good for diving activities, in fact there's so many beautiful diving spots but the problem is that there is no Diving shop here in Biliran Island. I used to dive in Sambawan Island, Dalutan and Capinahan. Back then i had a friend who is a PADI diver and owns a diving shop in Brgy. Atipolo Naval but unfortunately the business operation stopped.

I'm sorry but I have no idea and could not recommend you to any diving shops around or nearby your place.

Thank you for visiting my website and if you have any inquiries don't hesitate to send me an email.

Regards,
    Jalmz
    "the heart has its reasons which reasons cannot understand"....

2. Default  
    sadly there are not many good shops of any description in Naval, The majority are dirty ,unkept, and old stock. The hardware stores in particular except for Brodeth are uniformly dirty with dirty stock and very untidy. Doubt any have ever been cleaned inside since the day they were built. The mall opposite the bus depot has never been cleaned inside or outside since it was built and it looks it and a new coat of paint?? well mabe in another 20 yrs , but it not the exception most stores have never been painted or repainted.The Naval supermarket only carries a small range of useful goods mostly just junk foods. To find some place that can do cylinder refills you need go to either Tacloban or Ormoc. But that goes for just about everything. Wish there was either a Jolybee or Mc donalds as there are no good fast fod places or any nice restaurants to invite someone to. Its impossible for a tourist to find any place nice to take a friend to eat or have a drink. Night life is totally non event . Everything shuts at 6pm except for one or 2 bread shops. No late night shopping of any description or any late night eating places in town.

3. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by jason p View Post
    sadly there are not many good shops of any description in Naval, The majority are dirty ,unkept, and old stock. The hardware stores in particular except for Brodeth are uniformly dirty with dirty stock and very untidy. Doubt any have ever been cleaned inside since the day they were built. The mall opposite the bus depot has never been cleaned inside or outside since it was built and it looks it and a new coat of paint?? well mabe in another 20 yrs , but it not the exception most stores have never been painted or repainted.The Naval supermarket only carries a small range of useful goods mostly just junk foods. To find some place that can do cylinder refills you need go to either Tacloban or Ormoc. But that goes for just about everything. Wish there was either a Jolybee or Mc donalds as there are no good fast fod places or any nice restaurants to invite someone to. Its impossible for a tourist to find any place nice to take a friend to eat or have a drink. Night life is totally non event . Everything shuts at 6pm except for one or 2 bread shops. No late night shopping of any description or any late night eating places in town.
    And that is what makes Biliran so good....and fast food isn't good for you anyway!!!!

4. Default dirty is good? 
    Shanebo If you genuinely think dirty shops with dirty unkept supplies and unkept looking buildings is something that makes a town great there is something seriously wrong with you.I shudder to think what condition you keep your house in. Well run towns with people with some pride keep their shops and buildings clean and tidy,have descent eating establishments that entice tourists and locals to eat there. you many be unable to understand this but that is what makes a town prosperous,not one looking only slightly better than a slum area.

5. Default  
    It is true that a trip to Ormoc for shopping is sometimes needed. I don't find the shops and buildings in Ormoc any cleaner or tidier than those in Naval but it seems to be a more prosperous town. Thus I dispute the claim that cleanliness leads to prosperity, but a clean store with a nice fresh paint job would be nice, they have that at Robinsons in Tacloban . . and they have the higher prices to pay for that building and paint.

Anyway, about diving . . I am not a diver but I get oxygen and acetylene for welding at PryceGas north of Naval. They also have the green oxygen bottles for the hospital so it would be worth asking them if they can refill your tanks if that is what you need.

6. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by jason p View Post
    Shanebo If you genuinely think dirty shops with dirty unkept supplies and unkept looking buildings is something that makes a town great there is something seriously wrong with you.I shudder to think what condition you keep your house in. Well run towns with people with some pride keep their shops and buildings clean and tidy,have descent eating establishments that entice tourists and locals to eat there. you many be unable to understand this but that is what makes a town prosperous,not one looking only slightly better than a slum area.
    jason p,
    Thanks for your reply and you can quit shuddering as my house is very very well kept(inside and out). I never said Biliran was great, I said it was Biliran!!! I have worked all over the world the past 21 years and Biliran stores are no different than any other 3rd world countries stores. I am certain your Home Depots, Lowes, Costcos, Tescos etc. are much cleaner and have abundant supplies. Even recently I visited the Ace Hardware (Ayala Mall) in Cebu to buy a few needed things I couldn't find in Biliran and their shelves are just as dusty as those in Biliran. Normally when I travel to a country as a tourist there is more of a reason than the eating establishments and the buildings. Normally if i don't enjoy somewhere, I am on the first boat out. We are just 2 guys (assuming your of Male gender) that see and enjoy different things in different ways...It don't make us wrong, just different.
    As far as dive shops, if I was an avid diver or knew enough about it I might would open a decent dive shop in Biliran, as Biliran has some very nice areas to dive.

7. Default  
    Update:
    A group of scuba divers had made a explaratory dives in the island of Biliran. They plan to put up a scuba dive shop here, hopefully soon.
    http://tourism.biliranisland.com/agt...atorydives.php
    "the heart has its reasons which reasons cannot understand"....

Thread Information