Municipality of Biliran
Biliran is the oldest town in Biliran Island hence the whole island was named after it.Â It is located on the southwestern part of the island directly in front of Calubian, Leyte across the Biliran strait.
Â In 1712, Biliran officially became a town, and Capitan Julian Aragon becomes the first leader of the local government in its present site. In 1782 the town became a parish and San Juan Nepomuceno was the patron Saint.
The Development of the Municipality started when the Biliran Bridge was constructed connecting the mainland of Leyte. Transportation facilities in the whole Island has improved. Later on in the early part of 1980â€™s, the energization of the whole island was realized; thereby the economy of the island province including its municipality has improved.
Formerly, the province of Biliran is part of the province of Leyte, with the passage of a bill creating the sub-province into a regular province in 1992 known as the Local Government Code of 1991 which embodies the Local Autonomy of the Local Government Unit and with the presence of the Internal Revenue Allotment (IRA) of every municipality together with the help of the national agencies, the municipality was able to implement various projects that helps improved the quality of life of every Biliranons.
Tracing the history, the Cebuanos, coming from Danao, Cebu, were the original inhabitants of Naval believed who have migrated through the invitation of Padre Inocentes Mangco Garcia â€“ used to pass by Naval during his trips from Biliran to Almeria, during the later half of the 18th century.
Before it is modified in 1859 to a more peaceful name â€“ presently known now as Naval, the place was already called â€œBagazumbolâ€ even before it was inhabited. It was named by Samareno folks which means somewhat pointed. According to old folklore, the late Padre Garcia would always say he is heading for a place beyond â€œBagazumbolâ€ as he traveled from Biliran to Almeria.
Following next to Cebuanos were settlers coming from Bohol, Panay and Negros. Due to diverse inhabitants, the land was divided among the Cebuanos, Boholanos, and the Ilongos. Cebuanos settled the land south stretching towards Caraycaray. Just beyond the canal at Calumpang stretching to the mountain was occupied by the Boholanos. While Ilongos settled on the north, towards the Anas River.
On September 26, 1869, Naval was officially established and recognized as an independent pueblo (town).
Based on the Rainfall Data collected at the observatory in the Biliran National Agricultural College (BNAC) of Biliran, Biliran as a joint venture of the PAGASA in Tacloban, the town of Naval or the Biliran province in general, has the rainfall very much pronounced to the month of September. This month seems to be the â€œrainiestâ€ having maximum average of 336.6 millimeters precipitation. While the minimum precipitation falls in the month of April having an average of 74.3 millimeter which turns out to be true being the â€œdriestâ€ month of the local summer season. The municipal climate is healthful and invigorating having an average temperature of 27 degrees centigrade.
The municipality is characterized as relatively plain coastal lowland where human habitation is concentrated. Rolling hills dominate the eastern part of the town. High mountains in the municipality are Campoding and Sayaw elevated above sea level at 437 meters and 900 meters, respectively. Three other mountains locally called Mount Naliwatan, an unnamed mount and Mount Gumansan have elevations of 1,340, 1,105 and 1,045 meters, respectively above sea level, and these are in common boundary location with Caibiran and Culaba.
Naval provides a normal terrain such that drainage is towards the sea through the various creeks and rivers which do not permit water clogged areas, except the swampy areas along the coast south of the poblacion. The locality has two main rivers namely; Anas and Caraycaray that engulfed the poblacion and its proximate barangays. Naval also has a component remote island called Higatangan about 15 kilometers away off-coast of the mainland that comprised the two barangays of Libertad and Mabini.
The slope classification of the entire Naval are as follows:
- In the western part of Naval including some portions of the island of Higatangan is under Class 1 having an area of about 15.16 hectares, this represents about 14.04% of the total land area of Naval.
- Going inland and the remaining portion of Higatangan Island, are combinations of slope class 2, 3, 4 and 5 which comprises about 43.63% of the total land area. This will indicate the agricultural orientation of the municipality whose land reserves and potentials are wide and vast. While the rest of the municipality is within the slope class 6 and 7, classified as 18% and above slope, this covers about 42.33% of the total land area of Naval.
|OPE CLASS||AREA (In Has.)||% TO TOTAL||INTERPRETATION||RECOMMENDED USE|
|1 (<3%)||1,520||14.04||Level to near level||Intensive agriculture; high density urban development|
|2 (3-5%)||1,098||10.14||Slightly sloping||Intensive agriculture; urban development|
|3 (5-8%)||1,516||14.01||Very gently sloping||Intensive agriculture; with soil conservation measures|
|4 (8-15%)||1,256||11.61||Gently sloping||Intensive agriculture but with carefully planned erosion control measures.|
|5 (15-18%)||852||7.87||Moderately sloping||Limited arability and crop suitability|
|6 (18-50%)||3,755||34.69||Strongly sloping||Best suited for pasture.|
|7 (>50%)||827||7.64||Strongly rolling||Best suited for forest.|
Click here to add your own text